Sunday, March 9, 2014

What Did You Hear? - 1st Sunday of Lent


Today we were enjoying the time change by changing up our schedules. Put simply, that meant DH and I lounged in bed an extra hour while the little ones were following their inner clock. It was a Sunday morning blessing for sure - no visitors until 8 AM!

Delaying as we did meant missing our usual 9 AM Mass and opting for 11 instead. I think we'll be doing this at least once a month. As I told DH, there is something so much more civilized about waking naturally, eating a nice breakfast together (instead of just feeding the non-communicants something quickly) and taking the time to actually pick out nice outfits and dress in the slow manner to which little people are accustomed (instead of the rushed craziness that usually happens). I do enjoy the earlier Mass because we have more of our day left after but this was definitely a nice change.

One of the nice changes was that G's godmother was in attendance with her crew (godfather was sacristan) and as is usually the case when we share a Mass, she was willing to take one of our little people into their family pew. She's awesome like that. Today she was even more awesome because she took the two surly little boys. Joy. So, we were left with the girls and tiny man. This enabled us to take the risk and sit in the front section of pews. Considering we were in front of a 2-year-old and behind a 2-year-old, I think we did splendidly.

The most rewarding part of the Mass was the homily. We had a visiting priest and WOW...he knocked it out of the park. Perhaps I was less distracted by my little ones but I think it was just the most amazing 10 minutes I've spent in a while. The word(s) of the day?

Sin (Temptation)

The first reading? Adam and Eve and the Serpent. Father spoke of how he has been each of these different characters at different times in his life - Adam: who followed another blindly into sin without thinking about what was happening; Eve: who led another into sin; the serpent: who visited a sinful opportunity onto others. I love when a homily is just that clear. Who hasn't been in each of these situations? Excellent.

He talked about the second reading but, alas, I was dealing with Mr. Crabby Pants tiny man at that moment. It's probably better so that my mind was clear for the end. The discussion of Christ's temptation in the desert.

Christ's First response to Satan:
One does not live on bread alone,
but on every word that comes forth
from the mouth of God
.
You should have nothing before God...nothing. Food, exercise, family, friends, texting, Facebook, Wii...nothing. "I would believe there are those who are more upset about missing their daily gym time than they are missing Sunday Mass." Ouch, but yes!

Second response:
 You shall not put the Lord, your God, to the test.

Kind of self-explanatory and Father had some good examples but they escape me at the moment.

Third response: 
 The Lord, your God, shall you worship
and him alone shall you serve.

Don't forget God! Try mightily to deal with what you can, what is in your immediate ability to control but after that is exhausted, turn it to God. He can make all things good. He created you, He knows you, He wants only good for you (even if that good is coming through struggle at the moment!).

So, wow. What an awesome morning spent at Mass. I get something out of every Mass I attend (even if it's only the grace for having gone) but I L-O-V-E when the Holy Spirit comes to me in the homily. This is not heaven...you will not have a perfect home, body, kids, spouse. All of these will bring you joy but also struggle throughout your life. (If you're not following, go back to the first reading from today..Adam/Eve/Serpent/Apple). What a grace to know that I should try my best with all the gifts I have been given and when I still fail (or my children fail or my husband fails) we are covered by God's abundant grace! Wow. Now that's a great way to start a week. I am so very blessed.


No comments:

Post a Comment