Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Ora et Labora

Happy Feast of St. Padre Pio! Yes, he was a Capuchin but we are doing a lot of working and praying around here so I don't think he would mind...


First, the rosary. What a wonderful prayer...what a great way to help others as you beg Our Lady to guide you to her Son! After that, you can catch up on your St. Therese novena ;0)

Today also happens to be the Mass for the Canonization of St. Junipero Serra...the first on American soil! How blessed we are to be able to "join in" via EWTN (we watched Bishop Barron's keynote last night - fantastic!). Join us this afternoon at 3:30 EST. A great way to give thanks to God for his loyal servant who brought the faith to California.
He walked most of the way...

Today would also have been my dad's 85th birthday. Wow, that's amazing to me. Losing someone at 67 makes it hard to "fast forward" 18 years. My life now couldn't be more different...all in the best of ways. I can't help but know that he's working some things out for me from behind the veil. It is comforting to have someone I loved so much on the other side...makes everything a lot less scary.


I'm not sure whether or not my dad knew he shared Padre Pio's feast day. It is nice for me...especially now that it is also the day of Junipero Serra's canonization. My father was open to God's will (he did have five kids ;0)) and active in his faith. He passed it along to his children and, even if it doesn't always seem like it stuck so well, it is in our bones. I have felt it all along, even when I chose otherwise. I am grateful for his time spent showing us how to live the faith. Even without him here, his example comes to me often in my daily life of sacrifices and joys.

The Labora part is mostly fun...G is with Grammy, the kids are completing their math and history and reading together...oh and processing the pope's trip in art
"The pope visits the US Capitol" - note the difference in size (read influence) between the Vicar of Christ and the American Government. ;0) Good girl.
I'm prepping for our pilgrimage which is no real work. Today I'm making our go-to travel snack
Morning Glory Muffins (sorry, too much rushing...shaking this morning)
Mmmmm. Filled with coconut (see? we eat it sometimes) and pineapple and carrots. I think it's particularly appropriate now since it reminds me of this
written by Fr. Michael Gaitley, MIC...Marians of the Immaculate Conception, a ministry of whose happens to be the National Shrine of The Divine Mercy in Stockbridge, Mass. I can't make this up, people. God is that good ;0)

Heavenly Father, look on us, your servants, today. Obtain the intersession of your Saints Padre Pio and Junipero Serra to show us the daily way of living and witnessing to Your law. Give us the graces we need to suffer for you and show the good that comes from right prayer.

We are blessed!


No comments:

Post a Comment