Tuesday, May 19, 2015

And...we're done

We had the portfolio review this morning and I just sent off the certified letter. The 2014-2015 school year is officially in the books.

I had to laugh when I said "congratulations" to my oldest and she wasn't dancing around. I think she is grateful for the break but she is likely one of those "odd" people who just loves to read and learn and, as such, would like to go year-round. She's also not the dancing around type. She has my temperament and, honestly, it's so much easier with which to deal than my overly-excitable child. You are comfortable with what you know, I suppose.

As with most things, I headed to church to give thanks for another successful year. I went to the tabernacle, even though there may or may not have been Adoration in the chapel. I just feel most at home upstairs. Not only is Jesus in the tabernacle but there are the Saints, God, and the Blessed Mother to keep you company. My favorites, of course, Sts. Joachim and Anne, parents of Our Lady, who are my constant support through this whole parenting journey.


I've been thinking a lot about the Blessed Mother during May (although probably not more than usual, just more deeply I guess). I've also been thinking about children, parenting, and temperaments. I am looking for ways to celebrate each personality while recognizing that society will likely not do the same. Let's face it, the "happy-clappy" always wins out over the "eeyore" . I kind of resent the latter to be totally truthful. As someone with a quiet, pensive personality, it can be annoying when people paint you as angry or sad all the time. Especially those who only see you some of the time.

So, while I was sitting quietly and praying whatever came to my brain, I heard myself say,

To thee do we cry, poor banished children of Eve. To thee do we send up our sighs, mourning and weeping in this valley of tears!

Yes, it could just be my negative outlook but, then again, I didn't write the prayer. "Sighing, mourning and weeping" doesn't exactly sound like happy-clappy to me. Perhaps that's why it is one of my favorite prayers. It at least acknowledges that this is not cloud-cuckoo land but life after the Fall. No matter how much you want it to be the former it is, in fact, the latter.

No, we shouldn't go around mopey all the time. We should, however, spend some time praying deeply about what is happening around us. We shouldn't just go through the motions and we shouldn't, above all, just blindly follow popular opinion.

I know I read non-standard books but maybe, just once, try one out. No, they're not on the "best sellers list" but if you want to know about the Catholic faith; if you want to live through the time when things were really oppressive, give this a go then email me so we can chat (no, I haven't forgotten St. Bernard, he's just tough to get through when you can't concentrate so I had to put him down for a few weeks).



 
 
I guess what I'm trying to say is that we should absolutely recognize that there are differences among us. I am amazed at how different people can be when they come from the same parents! However, it's also important to recognize, no matter who you are, there is a "right" and "wrong" and it's not "whatever makes you happy". If you follow the "right", however, I can pretty much guarantee that the happy times will outnumber the trial. That's just the way He made it and as in all of His works, it is so very good.

We are blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment