Friday, May 16, 2014

What's for dinner?

Back in the day when I was a fresh newlywed with nothing to do but wait until God decided to grant the miracle that would be our first baby, I was at home...all day. My only jobs (other than getting pregnant) were cleaning the house, doing the laundry (ahhh, back when DH got his shirts ironed!), and cooking. We still had cable back then and I loved TV food network. Emeril, Rachel, Curtis and I were great pals...they taught me how to perfect my craft. I love to cook and I loved trying new dishes.

Then the babies came and mostly we settled into the standard family fare. Well, with the blessing of being laid up for six weeks came meals from many lovely people. Most were the traditional "family" type but some were a bit of a stretch for us (think marinated flank steak). The kids love almost everything that comes through the door - go figure - and will readily eat a "gift" meal while leaving my nearly identical attempt cold on the plate. So, post-op, I have started bringing out some of DH's and my old favorites. To my delight they love them! It's so nice to have good, flavorful food and a blessing to have a break from the old standbys.

1. Balsamic Rosemary Chicken (that's what I call it - Rachel has a fancier name). Sometimes we make gnocchi and have it with brown butter but usually it's mac n cheese (a la Alton - NO Velveeta!)
Rosemary Chicken Breasts, Brown Butter and Balsamic Ravioli, Warm Spinach Salad with Pancetta and Sweet Vinaigrette
 
 
2. Emeril's Steak Au Poivre  - I just made this for birthday/baptism day and we all love it (#1 is not a fan of the sauce). To be perfectly honest, I only "pepper" one side of the steak and with a LOT less than when it was only us two but still. I am so happy that everyone eats the same thing!
 
Steak Au Poivre with Herbed Fingerling Potatoes and Asparagus
 
We're going back to no-meat Fridays after I read that the whole "nevermind, we don't have to do that anymore!" we were taught growing up isn't exactly what they said. Besides, giving up meat a few times a week is a good thing. So, I'm trying to mix that up a bit as well. Usually it's homemade fish fry, (these Martha fish sticks are AWESOME!) or tuna casserole (yes, we do have crushed chips on top!).
 
Panko-Crusted Fish Sticks with Herb Dipping Sauce
 
 
I'm always on the lookout for new meat-free ideas. Looks like the Barefoot Contessa is cooking up something yummy. Rachel's chickpea salad? Put some sourdough alongside and it's enough for many a hot Friday evening to come.

 
Chickpea Salad
 

Whatever the food, it is a true blessing that our family is together for nearly every evening meal. I know that one day schedules will cause us to run in different directions and grab sustenance when we can. That's why I am thankful for these days - relaxed and together.
 
Have a blessed weekend!


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing all the links - I love to try out recommended new recipes!

    ReplyDelete