Sunday, May 18, 2014

Super Sunday

Our day started a little later this morning. I told the boys to sleep in until at least 8 since we wouldn't be rushing to Mass. I enjoyed the few extra minutes of talking to my DH before the craziness of the day. I also got to actually read my morning offering before leaving my bed! Highly unusual.

"Love Mary! She is lovable, faithful, constant. She will never let herself be outdone in love, but will ever remain supreme. If you are in danger, she will hasten to free you. If you are troubled, she will console you. If you are sick, she will bring you relief. If you are in need, she will help you. She does not look to see what kind of person you have been. She simply comes to a heart that wants to love her."
— St. Gabriel Possenti of Our Lady of Sorrows

Knowing where we were headed, it seemed particularly fitting and not at all surprising ;0)

I've been struggling with my parish (and or pastor, not sure, but I think it's the former) lately. We don't really seem to fit in - there are some beautiful families who had 7-9 kids once-upon-a-time. They are now in their 70s+ but they do support us heavily in the choices we make about how to live our lives. Many of the rest, however, are just seat holders. At least it seems that way.  Come in late, leave early, read the bulletin in between. We're also running a bunch of programs that, along with the pithy messages on our new electronic sign, leave me feeling like I walked into the Methodist church by mistake. Or at least yearning for the Catholic church of old. So, I wasn't exactly complaining that we were missing yet another Mass at our home parish.

Of course the Holy Spirit had that well in hand.

After a relaxed family breakfast we took a 10 minute walk and hopped on the T. I love where we live for that reason...a short walk and you can be almost anywhere within a 10 mile radius. I should note that Mr. G has a love-affair with trolleys. If he had his way, they would go by our street about every minute and a half. It was absolutely the cutest thing. He just couldn't get into his mind that we were on the trolley. He kept pointing out the window saying, "where trolley?"

 
We landed at Steel Plaza with plenty of time to walk around and enjoy the beautiful day. I love our city. City-like but without so many people ;0)

Little man is not a fan of Mario I guess.

I do appreciate that you can be at a Catholic church from anywhere in town in about, oh, 5 minutes by foot (OK, maybe 10 but really, not long at all!)
 
It was finally time and we headed into church to get ready for Mass. I was a little bit discouraged by the turnout. It was much smaller than it had been in the past - certainly many fewer families with small children. I was feeling a bit disappointed by that until the first "and with your Spirit" which was so loud, it echoed off the walls. I had been needing a heavy shot of devout Catholics and here we were among some of the most serious. I am SO blessed.
 
DH had the "happy" job of wrestling with G the whole Mass. When we got home, he told me a woman (who ended up being the person to introduce the bishop) stopped by the pew and said, "I know it will be difficult with him but don't worry if he makes noise...it is so important that you are here and we are so happy that you are." So, it would seem the Holy Spirit was beefing up DH as well!
 
So, why were we here? It was the 75th annual Rosary March. It begins with Mass and today Bishop Z gave a marvelous homily about not becoming discouraged! Then the Bishop processes through town holding the monstrance aloft, followed by the statue of Our Lady of Fatima, while we follow and recite the rosary. Goose bumps.
 
Our Lady, leaving the church (with hankies waving)
 
The monstrance is waaaayyy up under the overpass.

We were at the end, as usual, but I kind of like that. It lets us see for certain how many other faithful Catholics are joining us in the procession.
 
So, I am still struggling but today was definitely a day when I felt particularly snug within Mary's mantle. I do wish there would have been many (or even any) more families with tiny kids. I know it's nap time and sports time and there are a lot of other things happening so I am just thankful that we were able to go.
 
For now, I feel like I kind of "get" what the priests have been telling me in confession. Today I "left" my parish to be nourished elsewhere and, in praying for but not worrying about my peers, I didn't "look for Jesus in them". I simply went where I knew our shepherd would be, along with Our Lady. In doing this, I carried my children along. I made it a family priority. How blessed I was to hear on the walk home, "you know Mom, I am planning to attend the 100th annual Rosary March." Pray God, my sweet.
 
Have a blessed day.



1 comment:

  1. Ah, Epiphany...I have a warm spot in my heart for that church. When Tom and I were dating, we would each take a bus after work and meet there for daily Mass. It was standing next to him during Mass there one day that I realized that I loved him.

    ReplyDelete