Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Happy Mother's Day!

It's a few days early but it's been a busy week and promises to continue to be so for the next few days. If you want, you can wait to read this until Sunday ;0)

If you are reading this and you're a mother, thank you! Oh, wait, let me back up...If you are a father and you live in a way that allows the mother of your children (see? inclusive!) to do what she is meant to do - to mother - thank you. I see many men in society today (I know a few - some I think are a result of their wives' attitudes but that's for another time) that are, at best long-distance fathers...even when they live in the same house. If you put aside your immediate wants more often than not to help raise your kids, thank you. Truly. Your importance is immense. If it often goes unstated, please know that your sacrifice does not go unnoticed.

Now, on to moms. Having lived to my ripe-old-age, I have encountered pretty much every type of mom that exists. I believe that...pretty much. I started teaching developmental psychology in my 20's and I met bunches of moms, all different, who started me thinking about the whole mothering thing. Being "in the trenches of motherhood" for nearly ten years, I have met even more unique and special moms - each with their own circumstance. Who would have thought there are so many different types? I have been so blessed by all the mothers I meet. Thank you for being a mother.

Regardless of how you became a mom (and even if you aren't a mom but play that role in someone's life) I can't say enough about how much I value you and your work. In meeting so many types of moms, it is clear that each one is a little bit different. We all do it "our way" because that's what works for us. That is good and right. I don't always feel that way but, having reflected on it, it is what I believe. (see? maturity!)

You see, even the moms who I watch and think "wow, thanks for making my job even harder by making yours easier" are blessing me. They are giving me an excellent opportunity to open a dialogue with my kids. They are presenting an opportunity for me to sacrifice and suffer a bit - all while my kids watch. How blessed! (no, I don't always think that at the time)

Whether you are an adoptive-mom, a step-mom, a foster-mom or God allowed you to take part in growing a miracle in your own body...let's be frank. Motherhood, however you've come to it, is a miracle. Each and every child. Each and every day. We are entrusted with the raising of another human. Another person made in the image of God! That is a really big deal.

If today is a day that you are basking in your motherhood - give thanks! If today is one of the more "challenging" days - give thanks! In all days, give thanks that you have been blessed with the opportunity to shape the next generation by giving glory to Him who bestowed on you this gift.

Know that I am praying for you and how blessed I feel by your motherhood. May Our Lord and, most especially, His Blessed Mother obtain the graces you require to do the very best job you can in your most important work.

Have a very happy day :0)


The Most Important Person on earth is a mother.
She cannot claim the honor of having built Notre Dame Cathedral.
She need not.
She has built something more magnificent than any cathedral
-a dwelling for an immortal soul, the tiny perfection of her baby's body. . .
The angels have not been blessed with such a grace.
They cannot share in God's creative miracle to bring new saints to Heaven.
Only a human mother can.
Mothers are closer to God the Creator than any other creature;
God joins forces with mothers in performing this act of creation. ..
What on God's good earth is more glorious than this: to be a mother? 

Joseph Cardinal Mindszenty 

No comments:

Post a Comment