Monday, March 12, 2012

St. Apollonia returns

I am dragging in a serious way these days so, thankfully, the kids always seem to find new things to keep them entertained.

Over the weekend eldest daughter, while biting into an apple, started shrieking and waving her second front tooth around. We knew it was coming (some of us too much) because of the way she would wiggle it mercilessly to anyone who wanted to see. Truthfully, I didn't want to see. At all. Made me gag each time she did it. Still, I'm trying to be the "good mom" and encourage such rites of passage.

So, here you go. I'm thinking it will take at least three years of speech therapy to regain her ability to say "th" without her tongue sticking the whole way out of her mouth. She is kind of cute, though.

Lost teeth, around here, mean a visit from St. Apollonia. She is our version of the Tooth Fairy. It works for me because, while I frown on strange people/spirits visiting my home while I am asleep, Saints are always welcome to drop by. So, tonight ( I know, terrible...I forgot the first night and dh forgot last night) said daughter will put her tooth out (bagged and on the night stand since St. A "couldn't find the first one under her pillow") and in exchange receive a holy card, a note, and a small monetary sum. I say it that way because I can't for the life of me remember what the going rate is and now I'm stuck. Thankfully, she is still at that age where I can say "so, how many quarters did St. Apollonia bring last time?" and she'll answer without any suspicion at all. I love that.

Yet another sleepless night around here. I sort of wish St. A would just do this all herself sometimes and then I could get some shuteye ;)

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Sue, you (and your kids) are full of brilliant ideas. I think we may have to steal the tooth Saint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you would! It would be nice to have a bunch of kids talking about St. Apollonia ;0)

      Delete