Thursday, March 15, 2012

9 years of change and some things that don't.

I had a delightful lunch with my beloved today. The occasion being the 9th anniversary of our engagement. We figured it's this or have a three-month-old tag along with us to the 9th wedding anniversary so we took the opportunity to spend a few final minutes alone :) We went to Arlecchino, the restaurant which took the place of The Classroom, which was the site of our wedding reception. We got engaged in an old railroad tunnel along a walking trail nearby. Being 36 weeks pregnant, I opted for the restaurant vs. a picnic in the tunnel. Everyone following along? It even sounds a bit circuitous to me. Sorry.

Anyway, we thought it would be nice to see how much the restaurant itself has changed (a LOT) and how different the experience was (MUCH). I know I will always have a soft spot in my heart for The Classroom and I tried to like it but there were just too many inconsistencies for the price. Since it's been in business for a while, I think they should have been addressed by now. Also, the fact that the owners also run Alla Famiglia, probably gave me higher expectations than were warranted. Regardless, it was nice to have some time alone with my dh and reminisce about those days 9 years ago.

Like the restaurant, our lives still have a fleeting glimpse of what used to be but, in sum, it's so very different now. We are different people (dh has lost about 50 pounds and I've found every single one! Oh, and there is the matter of the 5 extra people in our different house!), our marriage is different (while our sacrifice was all directed towards one another back then, we now spread it around. I think we would both agree, that's a nicer way to live). Our life together has become so much richer in the last 9 years. I am so thankful that he is the one with whom God chose me to travel this road.  I cannot imagine anyone I'd rather be with on this crazy ride. I cannot begin to imagine what the next 9 years will hold!

As for the things that don't change. Have you read the first reading for today from Jeremiah?

But they obeyed not, nor did they pay heed.
They walked in the hardness of their evil hearts
and turned their backs, not their faces, to me.
From the day that your fathers left the land of Egypt even to this day,
I have sent you untiringly all my servants the prophets.
Yet they have not obeyed me nor paid heed;
they have stiffened their necks and done worse than their fathers.
When you speak all these words to them,
they will not listen to you either;
when you call to them, they will not answer you.
Say to them:
This is the nation that does not listen
to the voice of the LORD, its God,
or take correction.
Faithfulness has disappeared;
the word itself is banished from their speech.


Or, the Gospel, from Luke?

When a strong man fully armed guards his palace,
his possessions are safe.
But when one stronger than he attacks and overcomes him,
he takes away the armor on which he relied
and distributes the spoils.
Whoever is not with me is against me,
and whoever does not gather with me scatters.


In a way, I am heartened that struggle has always been a part of life. I suppose that means I can bear the struggle, like others have, knowing the promises that have been made. It's been a good reflection in the midst of all the crazy that's been happening in the world. God is, was, and will always be in control :)

No comments:

Post a Comment