Wednesday, August 26, 2015

“The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away; /blessed be the name of the Lord!” (Job 1:21b)

Today is the feast of St. Joseph Calasanz, a modern-day Job if you will. He did wonderful work educating poor children and in the end was rewarded with investigations, demotions and ultimately, the suppression of his order. His response was that of Job, the Lord gives and takes away. What an amazing gift to see that when you are dealt life's inequity. 

For me, this week has included one family of friends moving out of our immediate vicinity and a teacher who, after five years, chooses the week before classes to announce she resigned. The first was OK, the latter...not so much. I don't look forward to telling the little person who has known and loved this teacher for half of her life that, "well, that's just what adults do sometimes." Nice.

So, I'm working on my attitude. Perhaps I will pray to St. Joseph of Calasanz tonight to give me a more charitable heart. If that fails, St. Monica joins us tomorrow so I can pray with her for the strength of my little ones to keep the faith and fight the good fight, regardless of what life hands them. I'm so grateful that we have so many wonderful examples in the Saints to turn to in pretty much any situation.

We are blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment