Friday, April 26, 2013

7 quick takes

Friday, April 26, 2013


--- 1 ---
THE BOOKS ARE HERE!

Yes, I will always be someone who wishes they could go to school forever. Since that is unlikely right now (although I do still occasionally fantasize about an online degree) homeschooling is an awesome fit. It was so cute to see #1 hold, flip through, and drool over what she will be doing next year. Ahh, my girl.
You might notice the abundance of religious artwork. Just another plus for homeschool. If we ever reenroll at the Catholic school, I will be asking why they're not using the same texts. Yes, they do miss me.
--- 2 ---
 
I spent almost an hour at the park with the four younger ones while sis was at dance class today. What a glorious morning. Flowers and sun. Ahhh. I love these days!
 
--- 3 ---
 
I am so thankful for the beauty that surrounds me because my innards, at the moment are black, black, black. Not sure if it's pre-menopause or what but my mood is ugly. Grouchy and weepy...lots of fun stuff. Thankfully my husband has over ten years of experience with this. He is a saint sometimes.
--- 4 ---
MAD MEN IS GONE!
 
I was so excited to find new (last season) episodes of Mad Men on Netflix the other day. We have watched two and I think we're done. I am so over that whole show. The absurdity of it all disturbs me. I do believe that watching all this abnormal stuff portrayed as normal will eventually weaken your moral fiber. (No, we don't watch any primetime TV. Gave that up a while ago.)
 
Reminds me of a sticker I saw once that said "for some of us, letting it all hang out meant this"
--- 5 ---

HARRY TOO!
We went to school Mass earlier in the week and Father had a wonderful homily on doing the right thing even if no one else is doing likewise. It just so happened that #1 read a short story along the very same lines that very day. The boy had just been to a friend's house to play a game dealing with warlocks and witches and the mother expressed her wish that he not play such ungodly games. He said (as you know), "but everyone is playing it."
I love when #1 gets hold of that kind of stuff. She spends the next three days looking at her world and finding things that she chooses not to do because she sees it as wrong. Then we talk about the validity of her ideas (she can be a bit overzealous) and what she might say if it comes up in conversation (instead of pulling a fire-and-brimstone on the unsuspecting person). I know some people really need fire-and-brimstone but in my experience, the ones who do honestly believe they're doing nothing amiss. So, we're trying to lead by example instead of "judging" people (can't tackle it now, sorry. it would only be a rant).

Harry Potter is the latest victim. Personally, I have never had an interest in reading the books and doubt I ever will. There are more books than I have time to read in this lifetime and that's just the Hawaii of books for me (don't care if I ever get there). She said she feels the same but for her it's driven by the subject matter. She doesn't want that kind of stuff in her head. Sounds good to me.
--- 6 ---
No reason...just makes me giggle ;0)
 
--- 7 ---
It is Friday which means I should be fasting and abstaining because of the pledge I made Call to Prayer for Life, Marriage, and Religious Liberty. I have done very little of the rest of the pledge thus far and I'm feeling really crummy about the whole thing. I don't want to fast. I want to eat. Waa, waa, waa (see #3). So, I will keep quiet and do the best I can. I know it is so important and the devil is so keen to my weak points (I don't know how he chooses among them, really). We shall see. There is always family rosary tonight.
 
Have a good weekend, everyone!

1 comment:

  1. I'm really excited for homeschooling because I love to learn too! I do worry, though, that I might be really zealous when Sly's going through the stuff, and then by the time child number 3 (hopefully there is one!) and on (hopefully!) get to it, I'll be getting sick of it. Kinda like when I taught high school. It was fun going through the lesson the first couple times, but by the end of the day, I was so sick of it!

    Harry Potter is not evil! I love the books, and will have no problem with my kids reading them....well, at least the "magic" aspect seems completely benign to me. Though there is a little too much "romance" between teenagers. It's your call, of course, but I would recommend giving one a read first before you out-right ban them.

    ReplyDelete