Sunday, November 16, 2014

Five on Friday

Today I'm thinking about others. Mostly, anyway, because we have a boatload of things going on and most of it is happening outside of these walls. Here are a few.



1. This Book



I am reading a few books simultaneously right now and, while they do seem to mesh, for better or worse, there is definitely one that I find myself agreeing with on every page. You Did it to Me: A Practical Guide to Mercy in Action This book is such a gift to me. Fr. Michael Gaitley, MIC is extremely gifted when it comes to actually answering the question of how we can be the face of Christ to those around us. He uses the Works of Mercy and it is BRILLIANT.

You know I have a soft spot for the MICs but, beyond that, this is a wonderful book. I kind of go through life, trying to listen to the Holy Spirit, trying to point my kids in the right direction and it has been heartening to see some of the things I already do, listed in the book! So I am on the right track in some areas! Praise God!

2. The Works in Action

I am a member of Martha's Ministry at our parish. It has been a fantastic opportunity for me at this point in my life and a great way to show the kids how to put the needs of others ahead of our own.

Next Tuesday is the annual Thanksgiving dinner at Angels' Place, an organization that provides assistance and childcare to single parents who are full-time students and have children under 5. This year we're participating a little with the meal but we were also asked to come up with crafts for the kids during dinner.

#s 1 and 2 and I headed to Michaels the other day and picked out some things we thought they would like. #2 is an artist and all-around crafty guy and it was difficult for him to walk through that store and think about something other than all the great things he would like to create. I was proud of him for helping some other little people that he doesn't even know; especially since it meant skipping his crafts this time around.

Today the other three helped out. They sorted and stuffed until everything was ready for the party. We had a lot of fun and talked about how blessed we are to have our home and our family.




3.Meals

Another suggestion in the book is making meals for someone (feeding the hungry and ransoming the captive - in the case of a new mom ;0) ) Monday's meal is for a new mom, this is #6, with several teens in the mix. Just my style - LOTS of food!

This particular work has been such a blessing for our entire family. Our Martha's Ministry also takes weekend meals (meals on wheels doesn't deliver on Saturday and Sunday) to a lovely older man who lives alone and doesn't get around very well. He has been so sweet to the kids. They see his gratitude and realize they've done something very special. 

4. Mercy
Most little kids go through the "terrified of my bath" stage; I know that. I think the issue is when the kids are many and close, that stage never really passes...different kid, same blood curdling scream. So, I have to give big kudos to my DH who can calmly and lovingly manage a 4-year-old darling who, when being carried unwillingly upstairs, cries out as loud as humanly possible (I guess it's good that we live in a stand-alone house) "I WILL scream through my whole bath...I WILL cry very hard." God bless him. He has an amazing store of grace in that particular area.
So, as usual, I am a day late and a number short but, who cares? I'm off to make the new mom meal and watch my kids build girder and panel with their dad. We are blessed.
Happy Sunday everyone!





No comments:

Post a Comment