Monday, October 8, 2012

Happy Columbus Day!

We were lucky enough to see (and board) the replicas of the Nina and Pinta (of Columbus fame)! We went with our homeschool group and had a great time.

The Pinta (the larger of the two)

Happy sailors ;0)

A view from the Nina


The First Mate...Dom was fascinated with this guy

Above the Captain's Quarters - definitely tight

Of course all the boys found the cannon

The crew ate, lived and slept on the deck. Uh, no, not a life for me.

Beautiful ships on a foggy morning
 
 
So, despite the video we watched about Columbus Day (which said, basically, that it shouldn't be celebrated because Columbus was so mean to the native peoples) we are happy that he was such a brave man and thankful for our home in the "New World". Frankly, if it were me on that ship for two months, we'd still be in Italy. 

1 comment:

  1. I took J to see that when they (I assume it was the same two boats) were in town a couple of years ago. I thought it was really cool, and I would like to go back. Will have to look into it.

    ReplyDelete