Thursday, September 29, 2016

Angels and other really good people

Yesterday would have been my 20th wedding anniversary. I didn't think about it all that much, except when I made decisions about my day...decisions that in the past would have been made badly and resulted in the total loss of a day to self-pity and distress.

Have no fear, I'm still well acquainted with self-pity and distress on occasion...gratefully much less than in the past. I know and thank God for His continuing work in my life. That is the difference.

We had a reasonably productive day of school (usually true on Monday and Wednesday since little man is off-site for a few hours) then I headed downtown with #1. She had a class at Citizens Science Lab . I simply love this place. The great people, the equipment (!), the opportunity they provide my homeschooled kids to learn science with and from the people who do it every day. They also provide so many great opportunities to local schools. Fantastic program.

Since my helper was at home with the rest of the kids, I had the opportunity to take a jog downtown during my two hours of waiting. You can tell when I just follow the pedestrians...it's never a pretty map.

It was a beautiful (if windy) day and a great time to go out and appreciate all the wonderful things about the city we call home while filling up my adrenaline tank (good to fight depression!). I had a destination in mind...so, halfway through, I stopped for about 20 minutes to stand, witness and pray for all those in danger of abortion (and the parents who are struggling with the choice of whether or not to give their child life).

Yesterday was the opening day of 40 Days for Life and when I'm in town, I try my best to join them. How blessed I was to arrive and immediately hear the wonderful news...a baby had been SAVED that morning! How good is God to give His servants such a boost on the very first day?! What a happy day it was all around. Plenty of smiles and good wishes to the passersby. For the first time, I was one of those people.

I realized yesterday that, when I take all of my kids down with my during the week, I have to spend most of my time talking with them and watching out for their safety. Being there alone, I was able to concentrate on the people walking into and past the building. I think, at least this 40 days, I'll confine the family witness to our Sunday slot. With DH along, we can take turns watching the little people and provide an alternative example of what families might do together on Sunday morning (we usually head down after Mass, then we're already dressed up ;0) )

Standing with some lovely people from a parish down the road from ours. They took ALL 12 hours yesterday and had presence at every shift. That is a wonderful witness.

When I was leaving, I checked my phone and had a text from my friend who works nearby. Would our family like to use a suite at PNC park that evening to watch the game? Um, yeah! (she is one of those really good people) So, we gathered some friends and headed down to a beautiful fall evening of baseball and friendship. The Bucs won handily and we saw the first ever Pirate hit for the cycle at PNC park. (DH and I had actually seen a previous Pirate hit for the cycle at Three Rivers in 2000...we are baseball people!)






It happened to be "zombie night" but, gratefully we didn't run into many (except the Parrot...goofy). It wouldn't have mattered, anyway, since we had two namesakes of the archangels with us to celebrate the eve of their Feast Day. 

Each of these archangels performs a different mission in Scripture: Michael protects; Gabriel announces; Raphael guides. Earlier belief that inexplicable events were due to the actions of spiritual beings has given way to a scientific world-view and a different sense of cause and effect. Yet believers still experience God’s protection, communication, and guidance in ways which defy description. We cannot dismiss angels too lightly. 

What a blessed day, full of God's grace and joy. Reflecting on it today, I realize how very much better my life is after having turned to Him who is all good and worthy of all my love. I am so very grateful that He sought me out of the darkness that I had chosen for myself. I am so humbled by His mercy. How very blessed I am. 
In the sight of the angels I will sing your praises, Lord. Ps 138 
Saint Gabriel, Saint Michael, Saint Raphael, Pray for Us! 

No comments:

Post a Comment