Thursday, September 21, 2017

Great Lakes Tour Day 4

Part of our homeschooling adventure involves online courses. #1 and #2 had four courses we would have to "connect" to while we traveled. This involves a lot of creative thinking on the part of the travel agent (i.e. moi) and sometimes you just have to set out and hope for the best. How appropriate that our next stop would be Sault Ste Marie...
While there is some debate on the exact meaning of “Sault,” scholars of early French note that the word translates into jump, referring to the place where one needs to “jump”, or put into the St. Mary’s River. This translation relates to the treacherous rapids and cascades that fall 21 feet from the level of Lake Superior to the level of the lower lakes.
Our travel to our Northern Neighbor would involve jumping...but not into a river...this was definitely more stepping out and trusting the Holy Spirit would make it all work according to plan and, when not, that God had the bigger picture in mind.

Heading out of Mackinaw City is always beautiful and the day was perfect...sunny and clear. It was great for viewing Mackinac Island to our right and the Straits of Mackinaw on our left.


About an hour north, we checked through customs, crossed another bridge
 and we were in Canada!

It's funny, I was talking with my friend who had been there a few months before and we were both somewhat disappointed with Sault Ste Marie...not sure why, just seems like there should have been more somehow. Luckily, there were plenty of adventures in store.

Our hotel was fabulous. The people there "got" the whole family thing...they had suites made just for us (I think ours slept 10!) and we were greeted by this cute guy as we walked in the door...
Check out little guy's expression. I think he was waiting for the Mountie to move!
I loved our room (I always love a room that leaves me alone in my own bed...this one even gave me walls and a door!) and the kids loved the bunks and all the room to stretch.
One of the many realizations that we were no longer in the US - 6 foot bunk with no guard rail !

That was #3's day to bunk with tiny...luckily they're both small.
The living room had a big, comfortable desk and the WiFi connected without trouble. However, there seemed to be an issue with connecting through the Internet...one that, after trying about 70 minutes, I was unable to cure. This part of the trip was likely the most stressful and I was thankful confession was only a few days away...I would need it ...I flew right past the "offer it up" and straight to "scream at husband from another country phase." I'm ashamed that it wouldn't be his only call like that over the following 24 hours.

Lacking the ability to attend Latin and literature classes, phys ed seemed like the next best thing. Besides, this was no ordinary hotel pool...it was filled with saltwater.

Since it was the middle of the day, the pool was empty and they had a nice long swim. Perfect to relax everyone. The blessing was clear. Stress relief, good sleep...preparation for tomorrow.

When I travel with the kids, we always have at least one "grocery store dinner". This can be prepared foods or things we take back to the hotel to warm up, or just a bunch of yogurt and fruit and pretzels. It actually turns out to be cheaper and usually more nutritious that eating out all the time. This grocery trip was also special. Being in Ontario,along with the bags of milk (so sad I forgot to take a picture...I was so shocked!), all the packaging looked different than what we see at home.
All I can say is I've forgotten all of my French or this is Canadian dialect. Some of the words look a bit odd.

Another not-in-the-US-flashback...this is what it looked like when I was a kid. Before sugar became evil and the cereal became "Golden"
 While we were out driving, my tire warning light came on. This happens sometimes when we travel and the outside temperature varies but, just to be safe, I stopped by the local gas station, traded in my dollar for a
it's called a "loonie" ;0) and filled up my passenger right tire. The light didn't go off so I figured it was a computer thing, we went home, had our feast, and got some sleep (after watching the Great Food Truck Race or whatever it's called. We're Food Network people ;0))

I was grateful for the good night's rest because, as I took the luggage out to the car before breakfast, I couldn't help but notice the tire I had inflated was now sitting flat on the ground. Yep, lacking all air. Yes, we're still in Canada. Indeed, this would be DH's second earful. I am so grateful for him. When I am crazy-stressed-hysterical woman, he is the voice of calm. Somewhere, after two or three calls, I finally "heard" him about calling CAA (the Canadian version of AAA). The kind man rolled up about 35 minutes later, inflated my tire and followed me to

As often happens, the man at the desk saw a mother with five kids and no adult male, and assured me they would expedite my case. We watched the coverage of Hurricane Irma in the lounge and, as promised, less than an hour later we walked out with 25 fewer dollars (Canadian) and one less dry wall screw in our tire. Considering where we were headed, I was so grateful that God chose this cross for us at this moment. I failed terribly in my handling of it but I was able to see His protection and wisdom after-the-fact. God is so good.

It seemed fitting that one of our last images of Canada would be found near the exit door.
Seriously. If you'd like to step back in time a bit, just head North!

We are blessed.


No comments:

Post a Comment