Sunday, June 25, 2017

Our Wasted Weekend

Several years ago, Pope Francis said:
“When I hear the confession of a young married man or woman, and they refer to their son or daughter, I ask, ‘How many children do you have?’ and they tell me. Maybe they’re expecting another question after that, but I always ask, ‘And tell me, do you play with your children? Do you waste time with your children?'”
I'm with the kids most of the day but even then, I'm guilty of not wasting enough time...they amuse one another a good deal and I always have more to do. When dh comes home, he has things to do and I like to talk to him as well...not a huge amount left for the little ones.

So, weekends are the time we try to just be a family with limited outside interruption. This one was superb. Full of family time, celebrations, time with friends, and just ... nothing.

Saturday was #2's baptism day. This is a celebration in its own right, apart from a birthday. Like a birthday, however, it usually begins with Mass. Since it was Saturday, we got up a little bit earlier and went to our favorite local monastery. Also being the Solemnity of the birth of John the Baptist, it was a longer Mass (read: more for me to offer up since the bathrooms in the office don't open until 9 AM) but we all made it. After Mass we stood in line for 20 minutes to go to confession. I love that there are five of us that can receive the sacrament now! Next year at this time, God willing, it will be six!

Leaving church, we lit some candles then paused to witness the beauty of our hometown.
Baptism boy

1 month and 1 day...

little boy, big city
We took a family walk to the next town over's library for their last Slovak language class, then I had a power walk through the hills on the way home before returning to pick them up. We dropped off a paper and bulletin to a sick neighbor and went home for a birthday cookout. I even managed some baptism cupcakes. (yes they're sharks...and dinosaurs. lol)
Sunday was my very favorite day. The bright sun woke us up this morning and we had a wonderful, leisurely breakfast together (there is something to be said for attending later Mass). After breakfast, there was a great commotion in the hall...all the kids were excited about the God-rays breaking through our front door (welcome, Holy Spirit).


We went to church an hour early so we could attend faith sharing (free childcare!) which was about, ahem, the Holy Spirit...one of my favorite topics! Mass was beautiful, as always, and #2 did a great job serving at the altar...I think he's getting the hang of the whole "backwards" thing. Afterward, we spent time catching up with friends and serving others as part of the hospitality crew.

We headed home, changed our clothes, and took a drive that was delayed due to rain last week. A belated Happy Father's Day to my dad and his dad and my uncle (who played my dad after he was gone). I know it's probably odd to a lot of people but I remember being the little one of five sibs, chasing them through the headstones. There is something so consoling about watching our five do it now. Life continues. God is good.



All that work deserved a nice dinner at our favorite joint-down-the-hill, aka Drew's. Yum. Now they're all playing in the back yard with dh and I'm headed out to join them.

Blessings to you all for a wonderful week. Remember that time spent with family is always a good waste!

We are blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment