Saturday, March 26, 2016

Holy Saturday

The Eastern Europeans (and probably others of whom I am unaware) have a tradition of blessing the food for the Easter meal (the Slovaks, like Christmas, eat the main meal on the eve). We are blessed to live in a place that has a rich tradition of ethnic diversity and, as such, we have our pick of many parishes throughout the city who hold basket blessings on Holy Saturday.

Today, like last year, we went to our home parish. There is a preciousness to having the priests who guide your parish family bless the food you will share with your home family.




Last night on EWTN (or this morning, I guess, we were up late), I heard a lovely discussion about Holy Saturday. The priest remarked that it was a day to concentrate on Our Lady and her sorrows. How blessed I was to have a beautiful day for a run followed by time for a rosary and reflection with the Blessed Mother.
I have no idea what the flower chain is for
She walked with me when I lost my child so I figured it was the least I could do. As always, the grace flowed and it was such a blessed few minutes alone with the woman who knows best the trials and blessings of motherhood.

Not to be forgotten, Bishop Barron had a wonderful ancient homily on his post today about Jesus descending to hell and speaking to Adam...
See the scourging of my back, which I accepted in order to disperse the load of your sins which was laid upon your back. See my hands nailed to the tree for a good purpose, for you, who stretched out your hand to the tree for an evil one.

I slept on the cross and a sword pierced my side, for you, who slept in paradise and brought forth Eve from your side. My side healed the pain of your side; my sleep will release you from your sleep in Hades; my sword has checked the sword which was turned against you.

But arise, let us go hence. The enemy brought you out of the land of paradise; I will reinstate you, no longer in paradise, but on the throne of heaven. I denied you the tree of life, which was a figure, but now I myself am united to you, I who am life. I posted the cherubim to guard you as they would slaves; now I make the cherubim worship you as they would God.
Dinner tonight with my family, mom and aunt. It's hard to believe tomorrow could be any better but, as we know, it will be so glorious. Wishing you all a most blessed Easter, filled with the glory of the resurrected Jesus, Our Savior.

We are blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment