Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Fleeing Facebook

OK, so I've decided I'm over Facebook. While I have enjoyed reconnecting with some of the people of my youth, generally, it's been a time and psychological drain for me. I have spent way too much time getting agitated about things that matter not and clearly I don't have all that much time to waste. It has been interesting to watch interactions and comments but, again, time better spent elsewhere.

Also, I have to admit, the whole "friend" thing confuses me. I'm probably just weird but a "friend" is not someone I follow on Facebook. Friends, to me, are people with whom you share things in person - intimate and integral parts of your life. That takes time. That doesn't happen often. Well, it doesn't happen often for me. Aside from my family, I'm guessing I have less than 10 true friends in my life. If that is accurate, I consider myself to be truly blessed. One or two true friends in a lifetime is all I would have hoped to find. As I said, friendship to me is something that takes a great deal of time and work to achieve. This doesn't mean that casual friends are a bad thing. That's where lifelong friends come from, right? Facebook, however, seems to create a false intimacy and, at least in my experience, people you barely know treat you in a way I would reserve for only family and the closest friends. Perhaps that's because of all the "sharing" that goes on? Who knows. It was beginning to creep me out so I decided to stop.

So, instead of Facebook, I'm going to try my hand at blogging. It's funny because just a few months ago I chastised a Facebook "friend" about blogging. What types of egos do this sort of thing, I wondered aloud? Does anyone really think many people care what they have to say? Yes, I am extremely uneducated on many things but that doesn't usually keep me from expressing an opinion (working on it). Thankfully, over those same few months, I have begun to read some blogs that have really inspired me and made me think. I am reforming my opinion (obviously) and joining the ranks of the bloggers. I will endeavor to keep my rants to a minimum (or at least to things about which I know somethng). My spelling and grammar are horrific so be warned. Perhaps, if nothing else, it will catch you up on things in our household. Please don't let this be a reason to not visit, call, write or email. That would completely defeat the purpose.

You may also realize by now that I'm a stream-of-consciousness writer. That may or may not work for you. I can't really help it and judging by the amount of sleep I've been getting, I fear it will not be improving anytime soon.

That's it. Little people are sleeping but that won't last long so dinner is the next task.  Off I go :)

No comments:

Post a Comment