Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Navigating the new

All thanks to God that the churches are open, Mass has resumed, and things are beginning to look somewhat "normal" these days. It's kind of troubling to me that there is such inconsistency but, then, that's human nature isn't it. We all need to "do it our way" and, as such, nothing is ever exactly the same. For example...

- The Masses have resumed but look quite different depending where you choose to attend. One church has a very lax mask policy and Communion comes at the time it always has (which, to be fair, is not in keeping with the bishop's directives...even though I like it better that way).

- One parish we've attended has reinstated the use of Extraordinary Ministers of Communion. Again, to be fair, it was Sunday Mass. Still, it made me kind of sad. One of the big blessings of the pandemic Mass directives was knowing you would always receive Communion from a priest.

- It seems Communion on the tongue is also one of those "depends where you go" things. We have never been denied that form, even at a parish where our friends claim it was forbidden. After hearing that, I looked at dh and said, "I guess we're those people then...the ones who insist on having their way." Promise...it wasn't intentional. There was no announcement when we were there and they are not, canonically, allowed to forbid it, even though some do.

I've heard about one older priest who denies Communion on the tongue and if he is afraid for his safety, so be it. It's still Jesus and I trust that He knows it isn't our preferred way to receive. I suppose, if you're really obstinate about it, you can just not go. There's no sense arguing, though, since that just makes you look bad. We all need to do more "pondering in our heart" and less verbalizing our slights and demands.

So, we'll press on and navigate the new normal. We are grateful for the Mass and the Eucharist and Adoration and one very, very important thing that has come about recently.

If you read the last entry, you know I was fussing over one human mucking up the whole of the Holy Spirit's good work. Of course, I was wrong. Even if that person did mess things up (we'll never know) God did His usual work of bringing so much good out of hardship.

We had hoped that our #5 would make his First Communion at his Godfather's first Mass as a deacon. When that was denied, I had a bit of a snit (see previous post). As I get older, I'm amazed that the snit is even necessary. I know that God will work it out. I'm ashamed at my lack of trust.

Work it out He did, in the most amazing way. We were allowed to have the First Communion at our home parish, during daily Mass, with #5 being the only recipient. Having it "our way" would have meant having a very tiny part (rightly so) of a bigger celebration. Having it God's way meant our pastor using the homily to question and teach our little one all about Jesus' love for him, and all of us, expressed in the Eucharist and the importance of the sacrament each time we receive.

Many years ago we attended the First Communion of a friend's son. Daily Mass, personal homily, wonderful example of how First Communion can and should be. I remember thinking that no one who was there would come away with the idea that this host is a symbol and not Jesus' actual body and blood. The priest made it so clear through his own awe and reverence...the memory of it has remained with me to this day. We are so blessed that our last little one went to meet Jesus in the Eucharist in such a similar fashion. We are so grateful for this good that came from such an uncertain time. (Please keep #2 in your prayers as he continues to wait for his Confirmation day. I know that God has it well in hand but, as you know, I get antsy ;0p).

Our dear Fr. Robin. He baptized #1 and was good enough to con-celebrate
First Communion Mass
for #5

Greeting Godmomma

I took two pictures. He is my last kid. Forgive me. 


Grateful for our wonderful pastor. He is a teacher at heart and he gave us a wonderful lesson on the Eucharist. He also mentioned that our boy should be open to a priestly vocation. So important and so rare these days. 

Our beloved Miss Terri. She is ill with cancer and treatment after-effects but still insisted on attending because "I was at the first four, I wouldn't miss the last!" So blessed by our decade and beyond with this treasure.

Happy sibs and the secret service guy ;0)

This was taken at Deacon Scott's first Mass because we didn't get one on the actual Communion day. Oh well, I have a feeling we'll be in this space a lot more often in the coming years. (More on the hat another time)


The takeaway, I suppose, is this...trust that God knows you and knows what is best. In these uncertain times, we want so much to be in control and when things don't go as we would like, we are so quick to question and complain. What if, instead, we were quiet and prayerful and asked God to show us what He is doing in this situation. You never know...the outcome might be beyond anything you could have imagined.

We are blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment