Saturday, April 7, 2018

The Great Western Pilgrimage - Part Seven

The first Saturday of our trip was a long one. As you saw in the last post, we were up early to Mass, then a farmers market and touring our first mission (with a side stop at Macy's). We were also, at this point, already 1200 miles into our journey by car. Adding things onto such a day would be crazy, right? Sometimes that's exactly what I think of our travel agent.

In my defense, I sometimes fall into society and think, "Well, now, we can't just look at missions the whole trip, can we? What will people think if that's what the kids tell their friends? Do we really want to look like 'that' family?"

I want to look like that family - I could spend every minute of every day in a church/mission/convent/shrine and be perfectly at rest. Alas, there is another half to this pair and I have to think of him as more of a leader and less of a passenger on our journeys. When I planned the second half of this day I was thinking of him (and the fact that we could check off "history" for the day at a pretty low cost). I am ashamed to say I forgot all of that when I reached my point of exhaustion and began acting like a 3-year-old (I still remember what they're like). I make that disclaimer so you know all of this travel isn't without cost (to me or my family). Our pilgrimages are always full of blessings more often than not, involve their fair share of trial.

Our travel itinerary landed us in San Diego with Saturday as a tour day. Not shockingly, the Mission wasn't really mobbed. Not so with the next stop...The USS Midway museum. I believe we drove around for about 30 minutes before we settled on the lot which was a 20 minute walk to the entry point.

From the website:
With more than 30 restored aircraft, and nearly 10 acres of exhibits and displays, the Midway brings you the most complete cross-section of carrier aviation in the world. From high up on the bridge down to the main engine room, taking you on a unique warship journey that engages the sights, sounds, and aromas of this symbol of American freedom.












It was sort of amazing to witness the sheer size of this thing. I think the kids said the mess hall operated 27/7 to serve all the rotating shifts of people who worked and lived onboard. The "things" were pretty cool but I'm always a sucker for living history.



CDR Stan Abele flew some of the planes that were on display. He flew at the very end of the war, when starting his career, but it was still pretty cool to hear someone speak about those days. The kids asked if he was ever scared and he said, "no, I knew I was well-trained and I just did what I was trained to do."
At the beginning of the tour, the kids got headsets and treasure hunt maps. If they found all the answers, they got a special gift.
There were a number of retired military who served as docents/volunteers and they "checked" the sheets when they came in. If they were completed, they took the kids off to the side for a "ceremony"

Each was handed a set of USS Midway wings and instructed in the proper protocol.

which, of course, always involves a crisp salute. So wonderful that the kids got to interact with these brave men.
I was still being a brat at this point but itineraries are itineraries so off we went. I think I may have known (ahem) that I would need some sand and sun by this point.
We made it! The Pacific Ocean!

We were obviously tourists...at 65 degrees air temp, no Cali people head into the surf.

La Jolla beach. Welcome to the West Coast!
We headed home, showered, and got comfy. The crabby one (moi) slept 10 hours and felt like a new person the next day (perhaps, after all, I am a 3-year-old). Up early and on the road. No swallows this trip but still some pretty amazing sights and experiences. Stay tuned.

We are blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment