Thursday, March 12, 2020

Things I'm learning from Coronavirus

1. People seem to like to live in a hysterical place. They must, because they take half a headline from a questionable source and they run with it like God told them so. No data is necessary, just emotion, please.

2. The slothful pace at which our state is reporting new "proposed" cases (what does that mean?) is not really holding my attention or making me want to move to hysterical mode (see#1).

3. It would seem there are a lot of people, some of them priests, who aren't prepared to die. That second part breaks my heart. I get that none of us are looking forward to it but it's going to happen to everyone so do us all a favor - if you're afraid, don't try to make it a joke on your social media...it just makes you look really, really weak.

4. I realize that myself, or a member of my family, may somehow contract Corona and may, possibly, die from it. I'm not trying to be cavalier. I'm just letting you know that I know the possibility exists. No one is immune.

5. I'm not health professional but I'm wondering...why are we closing churches before cancelling basketball games? Why are we suspending Sacraments before closing malls and movie theaters and schools? Seems like we've lost our way a bit. Or more than a bit.

6. If you happen to see me sweaty and disheveled in public, I'm not suffering fever from the newest pandemic. In truth, I just got off the treadmill, or off the aerobic step, and I needed to run somewhere to pick up someone from some activity. I am so grateful for the blessing of exercise. It has leveled my emotions and helped me deal with the hysteria that is swirling around.

7. I don't think it would be a horrible thing if schools decided to close for two weeks or so. I could really, really use the break from band.

8. Choosing to do #7 will do nothing but expedite the incidences of the virus. Do you think, even for a minute, that school kids are going to dutifully sit by their computer for 8 hours during a beautiful, sunny day? Nope, the parks will be packed and the pandemic will continue. So, I do hope they think this through.

9. Speaking of, the powers that be in our fair city simultaneously canceled the St. Patrick's Day parade, and made a strong suggestion that bars lower their occupancy total so they don't become packed with possible cases. Please, people. The parade allows people to walk around the city as they drink. Canceling that, where do you think they're going to end up? You could have consulted the "man on the street" for that one.

10. I am truly grateful for the people in my life that maintain sanity during this time of trial. Those who are faithful and calm. Those who see the light at the end of the tunnel. Also for the ones who literally just dropped off a truckload of bikes/scooters and a pogo stick! I love when phys ed is delivered. You know, so we don't have to go "out there".

Thanks for listening. I kind of needed to get that out. Now I'm going to enjoy the beautiful day. May God overlook our lack of trust and have mercy on us all. Pray an extra prayer today. Ask God to help us - He's the only one who can.

We are blessed.

(btw, they seemed to have removed spellcheck so, sorry for any misspells...I'm a Hooked on Phonics kid!)


No comments:

Post a Comment