Saturday, December 2, 2017

New Year's Eve

I know, you think all the painkillers have damaged by brain but, NO!, it really is New Year's Eve...tomorrow, the first Sunday of Advent, begins the new Liturgical Year. So, because it was on the calendar and my leg was feeling well enough to travel, we set out.

First stop, Sisters of the Redeemer, about 40 minutes south. Today is the First Saturday so they have their monthly rosary at 1:15. How beautiful to share prayer with the lovely Sisters in their beautiful chapel. How blessed to have nuns and a priest to chat with after. Wonderful, prayerful afternoon.
I've never seen a statue of Our Lady cradling Baby Jesus - beautiful!

nursing and educating...my kind of window!
Saying goodbye for now to our friends, we headed back into the city. Confession seems like the perfect thing for New Year's Eve and we just so happen to know a wonderful monastery that is a great place to seek God's forgiveness. I was slightly sad to not get our "favorite" priest but after having the discussion I did, I know it was Jesus, regardless of the man who was sitting in His place.
I so need a house on this hill.
My penance was to do three acts of kindness for my kids/husband over the next week or so. #1 was simple...let the little ones light candles in the shrine room. We all had a nice, quiet time of prayer and headed back down the hill.
The chili that I had put in the crock was ready when we arrived, cornbread quickly made, we had a wonderful family dinner. DH is playing bingo with them while I write up some lesson plans (and a blog) so that I can be truly quiet tomorrow (I didn't finish the cards or wrap the gifts...I'm on a delay with this leg). I feel ready to enter into the hopeful season that will end with the birth of Our Savior. What a wonderful, peaceful season!

So grab your Advent calendar, pray, reflect, and just be still as we all wait. Definitely worth it.

Happy New Year, everyone! We are blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment