Sunday, May 26, 2024

So, how is the Holy Spirit astounding you?

My friend just posed that question to me in her last email. It's kind of a continuation of a few conversations I've had with different friends lately, all concerning the Holy Spirit. Almost like it's something that I'm supposed to be thinking about because it keeps.coming.up! So, let's talk. 

This most recent discussion was regarding a pilgrimage that we went on with the kids in 2017 - a Holy Door tour of the South. We stopped in a tiny town (pop. 19,251) in AL for Mass which just happened to be the same tiny town my friend was now, in 2024, inquiring about. The priest at the church in the tiny town is a Benedictine who was ordained at the seminary which is on the grounds of the school where our eldest daughter, who was 12 at the time of the Holy Door pilgrimage, is finishing her Freshman year. Yes, I KNOW...so many coincidences. 

I don't know if Einstein said that but if it helps you, let's go with it...

Except not, actually, because what I was talking about with my other friend regarding the Holy Spirit was exactly that God should not remain anonymous. On the contrary! We should both expect and see the Holy Spirit at work EVERYWHERE! (Don't worry, I'm still working on it as well, we can start now and do it together!) We should be happy to share how the Holy Spirit is astounding us on this very day to anyone who will listen. Our God is AWESOME and He should not remain anonymous.

I have two very good examples in my life of people who live this every day: One says, "Thanks be to God" regarding most happenings in his life (my cousin, the Catholic priest in Slovakia); the other, (a dear Catholic Sister who is Slovak but lives in the US), when I put together a "coincidence" and realize it was the Holy Spirit, looks at me in the sweetest way and gently says, "Yes, of course" like, duh...why did it take you so long (but much sweeter)? You will learn about these two later in our journey.

Yes, I said "journey" but it is, of course, a pilgrimage (is there any other reason to take a trip)? Nearly a year later, I'm going to write down some of the highlights of our travels through Poland and Slovakia (and London by accident) because, who knows, someone might ask me about something seven years from now and looking back at what I thought was just a regular day was really some serious foundation being laid by the Holy Spirit for something to happen later down the road. 

I will begin with a confession. Some days this Holy Spirit thing is really, really easy for me. Those days are usually when I am in my house or other familiar surroundings and not when I am traveling. The first day of our journey, 6/15-16/2023, was the first opportunity God provided me with ample offerings to begin our pilgrimage on the right note (i.e. "offer it up") and I failed amazingly. 

The trip actually started out pretty well, all things considered. We had a night flight to London that, other than not much sleep because who sleeps on a plane with the lights on?, was pretty uneventful. Time spent playing Solitaire, watching Sponge Bob and other silliness - really much improved from the same trip ten years earlier when 5 of the 7 in our party threw up at least once. 



Landing in London and hoping to move quickly to Krakow was not to be - we were very, very delayed and when we finally boarded our plane to Poland, our luggage remained behind in London. Did I mention that British Airways only flies London-Krakow a few times a week? Ding,ding, ding, welcome to your pilgrimage...yes, I failed to see it and instead made myself and everyone around me miserable because, you know, this probably only happens to us (I'm kind of petty when I'm anxious).
Look at them, walking with such purpose to baggage claim! Unfortunately, there was only one bag to pickup. The other four would have an extended stay in London.

I guess, looking back on it, I only failed miserably with the luggage-being-delayed-two-days-thing. I did raise my voice to the luggage agent (why? what could she do exactly?) and I did scandalize my kids somewhat (a few of them anyway...the ones who dislike it when I raise my voice and forget the whole "offer it up" thing) I do regret that. It was not my shining moment. Of course, God made it good. Turns out, He was getting us accustomed to living with less and not worrying about the little things (spoiler alert, this would happen again before we reached American soil).

So, the very first day in Poland, instead of heading out on our long day of touring, freshly showered/shaved/made up/and wearing the carefully selected and packed clothing we chose for the tour, we wore what was in the only piece of luggage that made the trip and headed out with unshaven faces (the boys) and no makeup for me. I'm not sure if it was the unreality of being in a foreign country the first day or the incredible surroundings but we loved this picture so much, we used it on our Christmas card!


The place was amazing. The Wieliczka Salt Mine is like nothing else I've ever encountered. I highly encourage you, when you have some time, to click the link and learn more. 





All of the objects in the pictures are entirely made of salt. Ok, not the Sacred Heart light or the gold ring in the Monstrance that holds the Eucharist but every other thing. The Last Supper is carved into the wall! All of this work was done but four Polish miners (and a few helpers) who, clearly, were more artist than miner and who were so devoted to their faith that they chose to remain after their shift ended to carve and create these masterpieces. The statues and reliefs shown above are all part of the most incredible place I've ever stepped foot in and laid eyes on...
Saint Kinga's Chapel (click the link for her legend...it's a good one). Try to imagine, this was part of a salt mine that was excavated...none of this was here (and yes, the crystals in the chandelier are salt...)


There is more to day one but I will leave it here for now. I think it's clear to say we were astounded by the faith of the individuals who spent their lives working to glorify God in their daily work and for years to follow. Smaller, but no less profound, is the fact that our family of seven was able to begin this pilgrimage together and open ourselves to the Holy Spirit's amazing work (and God's amazing Mercy). Stay tuned...this pilgrimage is just warming up. We are blessed. 


No comments:

Post a Comment