Monday, March 19, 2018

The Great Western Pilgrimage - Part Three (Ash Wednesday and Four States!)

Early up, breakfast, check out, then off to a local shrine...it was Ash Wednesday and there is no better way to begin Lent than with Mass and a blackened forehead...with a few extra blessings.

The Shrine of St. Bernadette was, of course, immediately attractive to the travel agent (moi) because of our sweet babe; any chance to attend Mass and remember our little one in heaven is a wonderful thing. I didn't have any idea what God had in store when we would arrive.

Because it was a "giveaway" day ;0) the church was packed. We stopped for a few minutes to visit the Lourdes fountain in the foyer before heading inside.
This Mass on this day at this shrine was a sort of epiphany to me. At home, we are in the midst of a reorganization of sorts, stemming from the need to ultimately close parishes and due, at least in part, to dwindling attendance and a shortage of priests. There are many things to discuss with regard to that topic, one being the introduction of different parishioners who worship in different ways. There is a pretty strong pull toward the Charismatic in our Diocese. It began in this city and there are many who seem to favor that as the main sort of worship.

I am not a Charismatic; it is not the way in which I am called to praise God. Raising hands, drums and guitars, and k-love inspired music does nothing for me. I like incense and sung Latin. Neither of these worship-types, done for the purpose of glorifying God in the Eucharist, is wrong. What is wrong is thinking one type is essentially "right" or "better" than the other. I can fall into that trap sometimes so, I suppose, the Holy Spirit wanted to show me something.

Back to Mass. Before the service began, the cantor asked for visitors to stand. I'm usually totally against this sort of thing but, ok, let's just do it this time. The priest greeted us warmly and the usher handed us two (I guess because there were so many of us, lol) beautiful packages of prayer cards, information and a CD about the Shrine. Our very own welcome gift for attending! Double giveaway day!!!

As the Mass progressed, my Charismatic sensors went off. It was hard to silence them when I had an in-real-life Charismatic jumping/waving/speaking a few pews ahead as the Mass progressed. I also heard a guitar but this was different...no strumming. Just the most beautiful classical guitar played in the most uplifting and beautiful way. (A funny aside, someone's phone went off and it was playing "Hoedown" from Copeland's "Rodeo"...you know the Beef, It's What's For Dinner song?) So funny. So Southwest.
Right. So, we have the Charismatics well represented. Imagine my surprise when the priest then launches into the Sanctus? Little Man was equally thrilled when Agnus Dei was also included. I was further intrigued when, upon processing up for Holy Communion, I realized that two kneelers had been placed at the front for anyone wishing to kneel to receive. I would guess at least one-third of the attendees did just that.

Most of the time God knows I'm not great at pre-planning my Lenten intentions. Actually, this year, I was leaning heavily on the we're-on-a-2,000-mile-pilgrimage-with-small-children plan (endorsed afterward by my pastor!) but here was something else to work over in my mind and with DH as we drove all those miles. Here was a parish that had something for everyone, in a simple but inclusive way, while maintaining all the tradition and liturgical correctness of the Mass. (I've been reading about a Catholic church in the south that calls the homily the "message" and does all sorts of things that don't look at all Catholic to me).

Here was a place to begin Lent where people of all Catholic stripes joined to worship. It was a pretty beautiful thing to witness. Afterward, when the kids walked around distributing the Valentines we had brought with us (see HERE for more info) it was clear that these were faithful people, seeking God in the way they were being called. That's the interesting thing about God. He made us all different and we have to do what He calls us to. How beautiful, though, when there is no competition in that, only celebration.

Having gotten our fill of good cheer for the morning, I didn't take pictures so that I might keep the images in my heart (like Blondie delivering her last Valentine to a sweet older man sitting with his walker), we stopped by for a few last moments with the Saint and headed North.
Dear Lord, help us to always seek humility

Sweet Bernadette. Keep our little one close.
North! I can't say it was the most stirring landscape to drive
This was me most of the 3+ hours each way
Although, occasionally in the middle of the sand and brush, a beautiful butte (mesa?) would just appear in the distance and grow until it was a really spectacular edifice, stirring conversation about how? and why? and mostly ending with "I guess God just liked it there".

Finally, in the midst of the Navajo Nation we pulled into the monument...this is where the four corners of New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado, and Utah all meet. Pretty cool.
For all the over-population worriers ;0)



A lovely soldier took this for us. He and his buddy were on a 13-day trek from Georgia to his new base in Alaska!


They were so thrilled to do this to tell their drill sergeants. Lol.
It was one of our longest days but extremely blessed. We stopped for some filet-o-fish in #3's new favorite town
Tuba City!
before making the final push south to land in Flagstaff, where it was snowing! Grateful to be in our nest and off the roads, we said our prayers and headed to dreamland. Tomorrow would be full of new experiences.

We are blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment