Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Circle of Life

I know, now you're singing Lion King and you hate me...sorry. I'm not immune to that either. Still, over the last 10 days, it's been on my mind.

We got a call last week about my aunt's (and dad's) cousin who had passed away. He was a Catholic priest in the Chicago area and we were blessed to meet him (me again, after 30+ years) a few years ago as we were passing through on our way to Wisconsin. You can read that post here and catch up on the Holy Spirit workings of that particular occasion. Three years later it meant I was connected enough to pack my smallest two and the elderly ladies (my mom and aunt) and head 5 hours north to attend the service.

Father John was the eldest of three (two more heading quickly to heaven after birth); a sister who never married and a brother who begat 6 children. Four of those children went on to have several children of their own, so the church was full of family. As is the case these days, a full church...or even a priest for an uncle...doesn't guarantee the continuation of the faith. It was pretty clear that these were not people who frequented Mass or had interests in that direction.

I'm not sure if it's because it was not my family (because, trust me, when it is...I'm plenty troubled) or if Father John was just sending down some grace, but it didn't really bother me so much. I felt like we were there to pay tribute to a many who gave his whole life...60+ years...to the Church and, as people who were trying to carry on the faith, it was good that we were there. I'm sure that sounds prideful to some, I don't intend it in that way. I just feel like I'm slowly finding my footing, realizing that most of society doesn't do what we do, and that's their choice. I will witness, hopefully, and pray and believe that God has it well in hand.
Young Father John
At his first Mass, giving Communion to his sister, mother, father, and brother
sorry it's blurry...serving First Communion Mass...ahh, that sight is so beautiful to me!

Dear Father, with a relic of the True Cross at his feet.


snazzy boy ;0)
 As has happened before, if you like, read about it here, we followed a funeral of a younger person (OK, this one was 89!) with the birthday of our dear Uncle Frank. I am so grateful when we can get the kids out to visit on his special day (last year we made a slightly later and sadder visit...to announce the death of his only living sibling). The kids love to be with him and he loves the company. I admit I'm getting slightly better about all of this but I'm still troubled by the whole stick-your-loved-ones-in-a-home idea. I know it's a societal trend but I'm not sure it's the best solution for the person involved...more for convenience of the family. As such, it makes me sad to see all the people as they gather for meals then go back to a largely solitary existence. I am grateful for Uncle Frank's faith. I'm not sure how those without it pass the days.

Back to the fun...we had cake and doughnuts and tomato pie and a lovely, lovely time. What a gift it is to have this generation and this man still with us!
The oldest and youngest chess players!


beautiful to see uncle and nephew spending time


He put on his snazzy shirt for the big day!

Happy Birthday, Uncle Frank!


In our circle of life, we must always try to seek out the Works of Mercy - burying the dead, visiting the sick and imprisoned, bearing wrongs patiently (I waited 3 hours, until 1 AM, to report the noisy hotel neighbors)...every day brings the opportunity to grow closer to Him through our sacrifice.

We are blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment