Saturday, January 17, 2015

May I recommend...

If you're looking for another blog to follow (or perhaps to substitute for one that has grown stale or no longer works for you - it's ok, you can use it to substitute for mine...I don't have this level of insight and it would be better that you grow in faith as much as possible) let me suggest you travel over to visit Father Humberto's Blog. He writes a reflection on the day's readings, including some exercises/suggestions to put the words into practice for your own life.

Today was the feast day of our January Saint-of-the-Month, St. Anthony of Egypt. We all headed over to a neighboring parish for Mass and because the two older ones wanted to get their confessions in since they missed "date night" with us on Thursday. Even with the 2-year-old ("I'm two", he says in a way that means...you have to excuse all my behavior. "Actually, you're closer to three" is always my response) it was a grace-filled morning.

As of late (why didn't I think of this before?) I have taken a moment before Mass to turn my eyes heavenward and ask for some insight during Mass; the readings, the homily, etc.. Please, I beg, speak to my heart and tell me what to do. Well, as usual, the Holy Spirit is on the line as soon as you pick up your end. Between the Mass readings and the reflection by Fr. Humberto, I have some good motivation to face my continuing extended-family struggles.

The Gospel reading was from Mark and ends with the line
“Those who are well do not need a physician, but the sick do.
I did not come to call the righteous but sinners.”
Oh, I love that line because I know how spiritually sick I am. It gives me so much hope that the Great Physician will be there to help if I just sit to dine with Him as often as possible. 

Then, as often happens, Fr. Humberto makes it pertain directly to my current situation:

Conversation with Christ: Lord Jesus, the call to follow you is a call to conversion of heart. Touch my heart with your grace in such a way that my thoughts and actions may always reflect my desire to imitate your example of love. Make me patient in each situation and capable of forgiving those who may cause me harm or create difficulties.

Yep, uh huh. Heard loud and clear. Now, if only I can muster the strength to put that into practice. I know the grace from today will help. Thank you to all who are praying on this matter. It is a great blessing to know others who are willing to pray for people unknown. That is faith. 

So, this week as I deal with my personal issues and as we remember all the babies slain as a result of the Roe v. Wade decision, I will do my best to make my thoughts and actions imitate the love of Jesus. I will work hard to be patient and forgive. I believe it can happen. After all, nothing is impossible with God. We are blessed.

St. Anthony of Egypt, Pray for Us!

No comments:

Post a Comment